Pages


Friday, April 23, 2010

Is it a home or a swimming pool

This past week our home has been progressing well.  With the foundation in place and the hole back filled it was time to pouring the floor in the basement.  But wait!  Is that sink drain in the middle of the room?  It sure looks like it. The second mess up in two weeks and the builder has been working on the site for just 3 weeks.  So the phone calls started.  (I hate this phone game. I call our realtor, he calls the builders realtor, who calls the general contractor.  Then the call comes back to our realtor, then back to me.)   After a second visit to the site later in the day to convince myself that I was not making things up, I called the general contractor directly.  When he called back I was not at home, so he spoke with Ginny.  What a blessing.  She has a way of getting her point across that I don't seem to have and as the saying goes, "If momma not happy, ain't nobody happy",  so also goes the process of building a home because we all know it is momma's house.  Before the end of the call the drain was promised to be moved before the basement floor was poured.

Wednesday I drove to the house on my lunch hour to find the drain had been moved and the concrete was starting to be poured for the basement floor.  In a matter of an hour the complete floor had been put down, but before I could get back to the office (10 minutes away) the rain started to come down by the bucket full.  Needless to say the concrete was not able to be finished for more than 6 hours.  In fact when I arrive at 5:30 pm the contractor was still waiting for the concrete to set enough to put the finish on.

Thursday I drove by to find that anywhere they could not use the power trowel to put the finish there was on a real disaster and I thought to myself  "well here goes another call to the builder".  Much to my surprise the builder called me to tell me that they would be re-pouring some of the areas because of the rain damage.

Today (Friday), I went by at lunch again to find that the concrete had been cut and removed and the plumber was there working.  Apparently our frequent calls to make things right have not gone unheard, because the general contractor had the plumbing there correcting yet another miss placed drain.  This one I did not catch, but rather the general contractor had discovered.  The fortune thing was the area that the plumber was working happened to be the same area that had to be cut out do to the rain damage.  The concrete had not been able to be power troweled due to the location of the drain pipes.

Also as you can see the lumber was being delivered while I was there on Thursday evening.

To sum it up, the builder has been on site for 3 weeks this coming Monday and we had have 3 mistakes that have had to be corrected, plus the rain pelleted concrete that needed to be re-poured.  Hopefully the builder is starting to realize that the Terry's expect quality workmanship, so problems can be fixed early when it is less costly or they will be fixed when the cost is much higher.  They get to choose.

I have always heard that building a house could be an adventure.  I am just curious when the adventure really begins?  Please don't tell me,  "It will be in a few more weeks."

Stay tuned to this same BAT (Big Adventure Thrills) station for more bat adventures in the future.

No comments: